I have been reading a lot about how to define myself. Yesterday my mom sent me this email about how someone was standing too far over and wasn't leaving room for her. My mom being who she is didn't just ask the person to move over. She went to the person in charge of her group. I am not sure of the whole story but at the end she said "Why do you think you and I run and hide"
First issue, is the assumption that I am like her. I am not my mom. I look like my mom but she is not me. I am not her. I don't react or behave in the same ways she does. That is my second issue is that I don't run and hide from much. She is assuming I am running and hiding because I am not sharing every thought and feeling with her.
I am not sharing everything with her because of the first point. She thinks I am her. I can't have my own life, feelings, thoughts. Once she actually got mad at me for not reading her mind and automatically know how she felt.
So this is my declaration of seperation and independance from my mom. I hope to continue a relationship with her but I will no longer allow her to define who I am. This is who I am and she is not
I am me, not her.
I am a good mom (though without kids)
I am a good sister, daughter, friend and most importantly wife
I am kind, compassionate and capable of empathy
I know how to set boundaries and keep them
I know how to express my needs without demanding them
I have good taste in men!
I know I am not perfect and am learning to accept my imperfections
I am strong and learning to be a servant leader
I am learning to be confident in the gifts God has given me.
Now the trick for me is to learn that my mom is not capable of these and to stop expecting for her to be able to do them. And to keep the boundaries I have strong and to no longer respond to her guilt and manipulation.
No comments:
Post a Comment